Today we get to know our new Varsity Cheerleading Coach, Sheila Saunders! Get to know her below.
My family moved to Burtonsville, MD when I was 3yrs old. I am the youngest of 6 (3 brothers and 2 sisters) but not spoiled at all J. We love sports and played everything from basement base tag (if you didn’t guess it’s not a real sport) to cheerleading. A little-known fact is that I played basketball for several years and even made All JUCO.
I have two beautiful daughters who initially followed in my footsteps but later decided to try cheerleading and never looked back. Being me, I found the need to learn everything I could and fell in love with the sport.
There 3 things that are extremely important to me – Faith, Family & Friends.
- What motivates you to work hard? The passion that I have for what I do and the lessons I learned from watching my father build his business from nothing.
2. What did you want to be when you grew up as a child?
I wanted to be a hairstylist and open my own salon. When I wasn’t playing sports, I was doing everyone’s hair. I actually went to cosmetology school and got my license, but God had a different plan.
3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
My favorite memory was going amusement parks with my family and friends. Every summer we would go to Kings Dominion and Bush Gardens and ride the rollercoasters as many times as possible.
4. What is the last book you read that you absolutely couldn’t put down?
The Bible. For me it’s the greatest story ever told.
5. What’s your all-time favorite movie?
The Lion King and the Greatest Showman
6. Who is your favorite band?
I love all kinds of music and not sure I can pick one. Aside from that not sure I would remember the name…I’m terrible with names. lol
7. What is your favorite holiday? Hands down Christmas!
Not only do I get to be with family and friends for fellowship and GREAT food but every year we play white elephant gift exchange (a 22 year tradition) and have a gingerbread house contest. It gets loud and very competitive…the best time ever!
8. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
Who would want to do that (The words of a foody). BUT if I were forced, I guess I would say Carvels Ice scream cake.
9. Which famous person would you like to be best friends with?
Martin Luther King Jr.
10. If you could have a superpower what would it be?
Time travel – mostly because I want to know the winning lottery numbers! J