Today we get to know one of our longest tenured coaches, Boys soccer coach Arnold Tarzy.
I grew up in the Glenmont area of Silver Spring. Although I was to have attended John F. Kennedy HS, I instead chose to attend Springbrook HS. After graduation I attended University of Maryland and Montgomery College. I went on to open a retail consumer electronics store. It grew to 3 stores. After 12 years I decided to move on to a career in the life insurance business. After 29 years I am still in the same business. I was married to Mindy my HS girlfriend and we have been together for over 43 years. She is Churchill’s biggest fan for 18 years! We had two children. Monica (CHS Girls JV Soccer coach and Robert (CHS Co-Ed golf coach and the defending and two-time State Champions). I started coaching club soccer in 1995 and through much education, training, and experience I was able to experience youth national championship finals three different times. I also coached Girls Varsity Soccer for 2 years at Jewish Day School, 2 years of Girls Varsity Soccer at Wootton HS before moving to CHS in 2003 and coaching Co-Ed Golf for 5yearss in which time we were able to win 4 state championships. I then landed the best job a HS coach can have as the Boys Varsity Soccer coach at Churchill in 2008. I look forward to beginning year 13 in March of 2021
- What motivates you to work hard?
Seeing the progress that the players make through their time in our program motivates me to do my best so they too can do their best.
2. What did you want to be when you grew up as a child?
I wanted to own a chain of retail stores.
3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
Meeting my wife as a high school senior
4. What is the last book you read that you absolutely couldn’t put down?
John Grisham’s The Firm
5. What’s your all-time favorite movie?
Be Cool. This is the sequel to Get Shorty
6. Who is your favorite band?
7. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving. Made more enjoyable by hosting an annual CHS Soccer Alumni game that is approaching 50 years of tradition
8. If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life what would it be?
Pizza of course
9. Which famous person would you like to be best friends with?
10. If you could have a superpower what would it be?
To be able have the power to motivate people to be their best.
Thanks Coach Tarzy!
*My daughter Monica and me.
*My HS Golf team yearbook photo. junior year fall 1975